- Solar Energy
- Solar Energy expertise
Solar Energy expertise
c-Si solar cell science and technology
- Crystalline Silicon Materials science (defects, recombination, passivation, doping, mechanical strength)
- Thin film technology
- Semiconductor Processing (wet chemical, furnace, coating, etc.) & modelling
- Optoelectronic device characterization & modelling
- Technology transfer, process specification, factory ramp-up
- Production line audit
PV module processing
- Materials science (lamination materials and processes, conductive adhesives and other electrical connection techniques, weather sealing, optical properties, degradation, aesthetics, recycling, design for sustainability, mass customization, lightweight)
- Power electronics, including electrical modeling, reliability and degradation
- Module manufacturing: Automation, mass-customization, bending and curving of c-Si, lamination of sensitive PV like perovskites, tandem module manufacturing
- Advanced failure analysis; destructive and non-destructive
- Module characterization: including high capacity modules and non-conventional module concepts
- Optical characterization and modeling
Applications and Integration
- Advanced modelling: algorithm development, bifacial with realistic non-uniformities, tracking, electronically complex systems, albedo in bifacial systems, etc.
- Safety research: arcing, parasitic capacity losses, hotspots, electronic behavior, etc.
- Power electronics: (dynamic) shading effects, system optimization, etc.
- Economic analysis: O&M, LCOE, cash flow, etc.
- Outdoor testing: new module concepts, system electronic response, development of advanced test systems
- Opportunities for co-use with agriculture and for increasing ecological values
- PV with utility-scale battery storage systems; PV with electrolyzer
- Project management of large multi-disciplinary R&D projects
- Coordination of national consortia