Mission and strategy
We are TNO. Since 1932, it has been our mission to give the right answers – and to ask the right questions. This is how we work for welfare and prosperity. For the world of today and tomorrow. By combining disciplines and domains, we can tackle the most complex questions. On the road to a better life and a brighter future.
Our more than 3,800 professionals work on our mission every day, putting it into practice by using our strategy.
TNO connects people and knowledge to create innovations. This is how we strengthen the competitiveness of companies and the welfare of society in a sustainable way.
Every four years, our strategy defines how we fulfil our mission. We do this in close collaboration with local stakeholders. The strategy is our promise to society, and is based on the trends we observe in society and technology. By coordinating with our stakeholders, we define domains and priorities to focus on. These are in line with the challenges and ambitions of the top sectors and societal issues in the Netherlands and Europe.
Strategy 2022 - 2025: connect, change, accelerate
The current strategy runs from 2022 to 2025. We focus on contributing to solutions for 4 societal challenges:
- safe and secure society
- healthy society
- sustainable society
- digital society
We link these four societal challenges to strengthening the earning power of the Dutch economy. We also have and maintain an excellent knowledge base for all our work, especially the national advisory function and statutory duties.
Priorities in implementation
In order to maximise our contribution to the societal challenges, we focus our research and innovation on:
- developing system solutions
- creating innovation ecosystems
- achieving technological breakthroughs
- dynamic innovation
In order to fulfil our mission, we have formulated the key elements that form the foundation of our strategy:
- a home for talent
- social responsibility
- healthy financial management
TNO units: Defense, Safety & Security; Energy & Mterials Transition; Healthy Living & Work; High Tech Industry; ICT, Strategy & policy; Mobility & Built Environment.
6 domains of innovation
TNO is an independent research organisation. Targeted innovation is what we stand for. We develop knowledge not for its own sake, but for practical application. We believe in the joint creation of value on social and economic levels, and focus on innovations for 6 domains:
- Energy & Materials Transition: accelerating towards a sustainable energy supply and giving direction to and accelerating sustainability.
- Defence, safety and security: we are putting our knowledge and technology to work for peace and security.
- Healthy Living & Work: promoting healthy work and life.
- High Tech Industry: innovating for employment, prosperity and welfare.
- ICT, Strategy & Policy: Charting and accelerating the digital transformation and turning complex issues into tangible innovations.
- Mobility & Built Environment: achieving liveable and sustainable cities and surroundings with robust constructions and sustainable use, and smart sustainable mobility.
More about TNO
Please continue to browse our website for information on a domain of your interest. There you will also find contact details for our experts who will be pleased to help you.