Jan Diederik van Wees
For cost-effective geothermal exploration and safe exploitation of geothermal resources, knowledge of temperature and prediction of achievable flow rates at drillable depth is a prerequisite for site selection.
Geothermal Exploration (Utrecht University).
In my research I promote integrated numerical model development and applied integrated studies in the following fields of research:
- Linkage of lithospheric, basin and magmatic processes, to predict resource quality with focus on tectonic heat flow and temperatures
- Linkage of lithospheric and basin processes, to predict resource productivity and safety with focus on natural stress, fractures, induced seismicity, temperature
- Probabilistic techniques for techno-economic analysis and performance assessment
- Joint inversion and data assimilation
For cost-effective geothermal exploration and safe exploitation of geothermal resources, knowledge of temperature and prediction of achievable flow rates at drillable depth is a prerequisite for site selection. Tectonic studies assessing fault rheology, crustal stress and fracture permeability provide critical constraints for enhancing natural flow performance and for predicting levels of induced seismicity. The development of innovative combinations of multi-scale multi-physics modelling techniques is key to better understand the spatial and temporal variations in crustal stress, temperature, gravity, and to provide helpful constraints for geothermal exploration and production.
In addition, I aim to develop novel techniques for the techno-economic performance of geothermal resources and demonstrate its value for informed decisions under uncertainty at different aggregation levels including prospect, portfolio, and regional/national policy perspective.
- Gies, C., Struijk, M., Békési, E., Veldkamp, H., van Wees, J.D., 2021. “An effective method for paleo-temperature correction of 3D thermal models: A demonstration based on high resolution datasets in the Netherlands”, Global and Planetary Change, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloplacha.2021.103445
- J.D. Van Wees, M. Pluymaekers, S. Osinga, S., et al. “3D Mechanical Analysis of Complex Reservoirs: a novel mesh-free approach. Geophysical Journal International”, 219 (2), 1118-1130, 2019.
- J. Limberger, T. Boxem, M. Pluymaekers, et al. ”Geothermal energy in deep aquifers: A global assessment of the resource base for direct heat utilization”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 82, 961-975, 2018.