Junior Software Engineer Safety and Security
Contributing to a safe world for future generations. Envision it. Become a junior software engineer safety and security at TNO in The Hague.
Education typeuniversity (wo)
Hours a weekFulltime – 40
Using cloud technologies to develop the simulation environment of the future for customers in the safety and security domain, such as police and defense. And creating tooling that makes it easier for us to set up this kind of environment. Or how about simulation components that enrich this environment with all kinds of new services for users? As a junior software engineer, you will contribute to the continuous modernization of the armed forces and the police.
What will be your role?
One thing is certain: the models, simulation environments and new demonstrators we develop are of great value to our customers in the safety and security domain to experiment with.
You work in multidisciplinary project teams with experts from other TNO departments, and sometimes in an international context. You are also part of the Modelling, Simulation & Gaming department: a close-knit team of 35 creative and committed colleagues with diverse backgrounds. From simulations to modelling and from artificial intelligence to deep learning: we have all the knowledge in-house. This makes it the ideal place for you, as a junior, to develop into a simulation systems engineer, project leader or consultant, for example. In an open and informal culture, you contribute to creating groundbreaking applications, in particular for the Ministry of Defence and the national security domain. In short: a varied field in which you can really make a difference to tomorrow’s world.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- An academic background, preferably with a solid foundation in software development, such as computer science and engineering, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or similar.
- Up to 5 years’ working experience. Don't have work experience yet, but does your background match the position? Then we also invite you to apply.
- Familiarity with software development and knowledge of version control systems (Git) and agile software development (CI/CD).
- You’re able to work with Java, Typescript, Linux Shell Scripting languages and preferably knowledge of C# and C++ on various operating systems (Linux, Windows).
- Preferably already some experience with modern techniques such as Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, Cloud Foundry and/or Rancher.
- A feel for matters relating to models, simulation, and simulators, such as model design, functionalities in hardware and software, algorithms (AI), code, and prototypes.
- Preferably experience with distributed (simulation) systems.
What you’ll get in return
Perhaps you would like to grow your career in the direction of commerce or consultancy? Or would you like to become a project manager? Immerse yourself in sustainable innovations? Or carve out a career as a technical expert?
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A good pension scheme.
- Travel allowance or a bike.
- Prospect of a permanent contract.
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
TNO as an employer
The selection process
Please apply before January 31st 2022. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
An online assessment, short programming assignment and reference check can be part of the selection procedure.
In view of the current Corona restrictions, the selection and onboarding processes have been modified. Your invitation for a job interview will detail the relevant information.
As you will be working for clients in the domain of defence and security, a Certificate of No Objection issued by AIVD (The Dutch General Information and Security Service) is mandatory. This means you will have to undergo a security screening. Read more about security screening.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Jane Duinisveld
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-294 07566
Hiring manager: Josine Ven, van de
Phone number: +31622362896