Internship | Modeling and Diagnostics of a Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle
About this position
Mobility is an application areas that is highly investigated to accelerate the market share of hydrogen fuelled vehicles. The goal of this internship is to extend the simulation tool for hydrogen fuel cell (FC) vehicles to include FC degradation effects and/or FC diagnostics approaches.
What will be your role?
You will implement degradation models for hydrogen fuel cell system into an in-house, physics based fuel cell model. For this purpose various degradation mechanisms from the literature need to implemented and tested. The base fuel cell model will be provided. The results will be verified/validated making use of measurement data.
The hydrogen fuel cell model and simulation results will be used to improve understanding of the fuel cell degradation processes in relation to operating conditions. Based on this model, diagnostics for state-of-health of the fuel cell can be developed. This will help to increase the lifetime of a fuel cell system, which will enable the cost-effective use of hydrogen fuel cell systems for commercial vehicles.
In this project, the following activities are foreseen:
- Literature survey on degradation models
- Familiarize with TNO’s fuel cell model
- Implement degradation models into the main fuel cell model
- Simulation of hydrogen fuel cell at a variety of conditions
- Validation of the model with existing experimental data
- Parameter variation study to understand degradation process sensitivities
- Analysis simulation results
- Report writing and presentation of results at TNO
What we expect from you
- You have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, for example mechanical engineering, automotive engineering, chemical engineering.
- You are coursing a master in a relevant field, for example mechanical engineering, automotive engineering, chemical engineering.
- Experience with and knowledge about Matlab.
- You enjoy developing innovative solutions to technically challenging problems and have the right mix of intellectual curiosity and pragmatism.
What you'll get in return
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
After the first CV selection, the application process will be conducted by the concerning department. TNO will provide a suitable internship agreement. If you have any questions about this vacancy, you can contact the contact person mentioned below.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.