Actual energy consumption and emissions
With our Powertrain Performance Validation Centre TNO offers robust solutions for next-generation clean and efficient powertrains, engine and exhaust gas after-treatment for Heavy Duty applications. We know how to maximise the overall energy efficiency of the powertrain while complying with emission limits in realistic operating conditions. We use both liquid and gaseous fuels via our own infrastructure.
The only facility in The Netherlands
We offer a powertrain facility that is used to measure, assess and validate actual energy consumption and emissions from engines, powertrains as well as on- and off-road vehicles. This makes it the only facility in the Netherlands that can do this so extensively. This enables us to measure emissions (greenhouse gases, NOx, PM) from heavy transport applications in our own lab or on public roads.
For real-world validation we have special lab facilities, including the unique Altitude-Climate Chamber and possibilities to measure on public roads using our Portable Emission Measurement System (PEMS) and our Smart Emission Measurement System (SEMS). The acquisition and interpretation of the recorded real-world data is crucial for accelerating the energy transition.
As an independent party, we may use this facility for third party assignments. For example, our ISO 17025 and ISO 14001 certified lab has been recognised as an entity for European approval tests for engines in on- and off-road applications (including stationary machinery and inland navigation). It allows us to prove independently that the use of our technologies leads to a significant reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. Many new engine and after-treatment technologies have been introduced in recent decades to comply with increasingly stringent legislation - in terms of emission limits and in-service conformity requirements. This has resulted in a very large increase in system development efforts in terms of both time and costs. TNO’s physics-based after-treatment component library, SIMCAT®, has been specifically designed to support the OEM development process, allowing faster engine calibration to select the optimum and then further optimise system performance in varying conditions in practice.
More specifically, TNO offers
TNO has an international position in actual emissions by offering technological solutions through:
- State-of-the-art, independent Heavy Duty Powertrain Test Facility
- A unique Altitude-Climate Chamber with space for a truck or passenger bus
- Accreditation of the Government Road Transport Agency (RDW) for Euro 6 and Non Road Mobile Machinery (NRMM) Stage V Emission Measurements.
- ISO/IEC-17025 (Lab Process) and ISO 14001 (Environment) Accreditation
- SIMCAT® tool suite as (even faster than) real time engine, after-treatment, WHR development and validation tool
- TNO Dynamo as a real-time development and validation tool for the powertrain.
- The On-Board Diagnostics detection simulator includes TNO's control-oriented physics based engine models (DYNAMO) as well as the exhaust gas after-treatment models (SIMCAT®). These models are characterised by high-computing efficiency - the models are more than 300 times faster than in real time - and use very little processor memory. This allows the models to be incorporated into a Rapid Control Prototyping (RCP) setup, Hardware-in-the-Loop environment and then into Engine Control Unit (ECU) production without any model reduction and without any loss of performance/precision.
Want to know more?
Would you like more information about what TNO can do for you in terms of actual energy consumption and emissions from engines, powertrains, on- and off-road vehicles? Then please contact us.
Looking for another expert?View all experts