As a PhD in occupational and organisational psychology, I am fascinated by people, organisations and work. At TNO, I do applied research into the Future of Work. How do we ensure that people and organizations are well prepared for the work of the future? How will new technology affect work and people? How do we create learning, productive and entrepreneurial employees, organizations and communities?
I work as a senior researcher in the Sustainable Productivity and Employability department. I also work part-time as Professor of Applied Sciences (Lector) Human Capital at Saxion University of Applied Sciences, for the research group Employability Transition. I am also an editor for the European Journal of Workplace Innovation. I have previously worked as an innovation advisor for Ministries and the Netherlands Trade and Investment Office in Taiwan. Furthermore, I have been an expert member for the SER (Dutch Social Economic Council) for the Social Innovation Committee.
I like to operate at the intersection of science, policy and business. My strength is bringing people, ideas and knowledge together and translating scientific research into practical and policy-relevant results. I like to develop integrated approaches and programs aimed at socially innovating (SME) organizations and sectors.
In my work, I always put people at the center. “Inspired and engaged people are the basis of innovation, entrepreneurship, sustainable productivity and success. So let's create work, organizations and communities in which people thrive. I say win-win!"
I have extensive experience with large-scale (inter)national research programs, public-private partnerships and projects. I have acquired (with colleagues) many competitive research grants.
Media mentions, talks and videos
I find it fun and important to speak to the media and share my, our knowledge in a presentation.
- Sharehouse movie clip
- Modern techniekonderwijs: 'Als je een auto uit 1972 kunt besturen, lukt een Tesla ook'. Interview in het Financieele Dagblad.
- De ondernemende werknemer is een aanwinst voor het bedrijf. Interview in Trouw.
- Living lab Sharehouse zet zichzelf en anderen in beweging. Featured interview in Logistiek.nl.
- Motivatie nu belangrijker dan diploma bij aannemen personeel. InterviewNieuwsblad Transport.
- Keynote over intern ondernemerschap voor de Belgische Overheid.
- Podcast learning communities. Hoe zorg je voor betere aansluiting van het onderwijs op de arbeidsmarkt? Podcast New Business Radio
My work has been published in both international academic and professional journals.
- Preenen, P. T. Y. (2023). Book review Sustainable work in Europe – Concepts, Conditions, Challenges. European Journal of Workplace Innovation 7(2), 103-105.
- Hosseini, Z., Nyholm, S., Leblanc, P., Preenen, P. T. Y., & Demerouti, E. (2023). Assessing the artificially intelligent workplace: An ethical framework for evaluating experimental technologies in workplace settings. AI and Ethics. Advance online publication.
- Preenen, P. T. Y. & Dijkhuizen, J. (2021). Benut in Coronatijd de 7,5 miljoen intrapreneurs in Nederland voor innovatie. Opinion article in Economisch Statistische Berichten (ESB).
- Oeij, P. R. A., Hulsegge, G., & Preenen, P. T. Y. (2022). Organisational mindfulness as a sustainable driver of employee innovation adoption: Individual and organisational factors. Safety Science (154). Advance online publication.
- Oeij, P. R. A., Hulsegge, G., Preenen, P. T. Y., Vos, M., & Somers, G. (2022). Employee innovation adoption in the logistics industry: Firm strategies as a managerial choice. Journal of Innovation Management 10(1), 76-98.
- Preenen, P. T. Y., Vergeer, R. A., Kraan, K. O., & Dhondt, S. (2015). Labour productivity and innovation performance: The importance of internal labour flexibility practices. Economic and Industrial Democracy, 38(2), 271-293.
- Preenen, P. T. Y., Dorenbosch, L., Plantinga, E., & Dhondt, S. (2016). The influence of task challenge on skill utilization, affective well-being, and intrapreneurship. Economic and Industrial Democracy, 40(4), 954-975. Advance online publication, November 26 2016. DOI: 10.1177/0143831X16677367
- Preenen, P. T. Y., Van Vianen, A. E. M., & De Pater, I. E. (2014). Challenging tasks: The role of employees’ and supervisors’ goal orientations. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 23(1), 48-61.
- Preenen, P. T. Y., De Pater, I. E., Van Vianen, A. E. M., & Keijzer, L. (2011). Managing voluntary turnover through challenging assignments. Group and Organization Management, 36(3), 308-344.