Mission and strategy
TNO connects people and knowledge to create innovations that boost the competitive strength of industry and the well-being of society in a sustainable way. This is our mission and it is what drives us, the over 3,400 professionals at TNO, in our work every day. We work in collaboration with partners and focus on nine domains.
TNO is an independent research organisation. We believe in the joint creation of economic and social value. We focus on transitions or changes in nine social themes:
- Buildings, Infrastructure & Maritime : 'Robust constructions, sustainable use'
- The Circular Economy and the Environment: 'Directing and accelerating sustainability'
- Defence, Safety and Security: ‘We’re putting our knowledge and technology to work for safety and security’
- Energy: ‘Faster towards a sustainable energy supply'
- Healthy living: ‘Focussing on participation, not on the disease’
- Industry: ‘Innovating for employment, welfare and well-being’
- Information & Communication Technology: 'Interpreting and accelerating digital transformation'
- Strategic Analysis & Policy: 'Turning complex issues into concrete innovations'
- Traffic and Transport: 'Helping to create liveable, sustainable cities'
Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. We develop knowledge not for its own sake, but for practical application.
TNO connects people and knowledge to create innovations that boost the competitive strength of industry and the well-being of society in a sustainable way.
Every four years, in close collaboration with our stakeholders, we draw up a strategic plan that describes how we will pursue our mission. This plan is our proposal to society. Our strategy is a reflection of the trends we observe in society and technology. In close coordination with our stakeholders we have defined five domains on which we will focus. These are in line with the challenges and ambitions of the Top Sector policy and social themes in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe.
If you would like further information about a domain or a specific subject, select a relevant focus area, then select a subject and you will receive information about which a TNO researcher can tell you more about it.
If your area of interest cannot be easily delineated, then look under areas current subjects or use the search engine on our homepage.
If you would like to know how TNO works, take a look at ‘How We Work’.
Read Flywheel of innovation in The Netherlands
TNO Strategic Plan 2018 - 2021