Do you have an assignment idea that you would like to develop? Are you interested in contributing to a more sustainable future by means of cleaner transportation systems? If so, the assignment below might be perfect for you!
What will you be doing?
|In TNO powertrains, we are looking for young-bright minds which are motivated to contribute to the development of cleaner transportation systems. To do so, we are encouraging students from Dutch educational institutions to define their own project (internship or thesis) aimed to contribute to the decarbonization of the transport industry. Your self-defined assignment should therefore contribute to one (or more) of the following automotive-related challenges:
- Reduce CO2 and pollutant emissions and enable the use of sustainable fuels in combustion engines;
- Increase the usability of Electric Vehicles (EV) in society by focusing common EV limitations such as range, payload, charging time, or cost;
- Accelerate the introduction of fuel-cell electric technology in heavy-duty vehicles by reducing the cost and lifetime of the fuel-cell module.
Have you an innovative project idea aligned with one of these challenges? Can this idea be explored in an internship or thesis? Then follow the application process below.
- Apply to this vacancy online: use the TNO website to apply to this vacancy. In the motivation letter give a short description of the kind of project that you would like to implement (see more details below);
- Internal revision: a group of scientist is going to pre-assess your project idea. If they find it innovative enough, you will be asked to provide a short pitch of the proposed solution;
- Pitch: you will have the opportunity to pitch your idea in our offices in Helmond (provided that COVID measures allow for it). The pitch consist of a short presentation of about 10 min, where you can motivate your idea
- Selection: based on your pitch, a final assessment on your project will be done. In case of a positive assessment, you can start the internship with us at your earliest convenience.
How to describe your own project:
The description of your own assignment has to be done in the motivation letter. One page should suffice for you description. The assignment has to be briefly described in terms of “what” (problem to solve), the “why” (importance of the problem), and the “how” (methodology and proposed solution to the problem). Keep in mind that the how has to be feasible to be implemented during your available internship/thesis time, therefore credibility is a key factor. Likewise, you are encouraged to propose innovative ideas, so think out of the box. Last but not least, the assignment has to be aligned with one or more of the challenges describe above.
- Duration: to be adjusted according to educational institution requirements;
- Educational level: WO or HBO;
- Number of students: one or more students per project. It all depends on the nature of the assignment and the rules of the educational institution.
The duration of this internship is 7 to 9 months and it preferably starts in September.
What do we require of you?
- You need to be enrolled in an educational institution in the Netherlands. You are therefore coursing a master or a bachelor in a relevant field, for example automotive engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, control systems, etc.;
- Your self-defined assignment idea is aligned with the general topics challenges. The idea has to be described in the motivation letter and it has to be feasible to be solved as an internship/thesis.
What can you expect of your work situation?
You will have the opportunity of to define your own assignment. Therefore, you can shape your technical developments to the best of your own interest. You will receive guidance of one of our powertrain experts. You will have the opportunity to interact with our powertrain experts, which are constantly involved with national and international projects related to state of the art powertrain systems.
What can TNO offer you?
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Due to Covid-19 and the consequent uncertainties and restrictions, students who are not residing in the Netherlands may currently not be able to start an internship or graduation project at TNO.
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Contact: Róbinson Medina Sánchez
Phone number: +31 (0)6-116 63551