Do you have questions about the TNO Trainee Programme? We have drawn up a selection of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
Dates, deadlines and procedures
The application procedure for the trainee program closes on Sunday 1 October 2023 at 11.59 p.m.
Yes, they are. We will not consider your application if any of the three files are missing:
- Motivational letter
The first announcement will be on October 3 the latest. We will then let you know whether or not you are invited to the next step; our online assessment. The outcome of that assessment together with your application will lead to either an invite for the trainee selection day or a rejection. You will be notified about that on October 16 at the latest.
Our partner LTP provides you with an online assessment that consists of questionnaires about your personality, drives, values and capabilities. If the results of your tests, cv, motivation and video pitch match our wishes and criteria for the TNO Trainee Programme, we will invite you to the trainee selection day.
During the selection day (27 October 2023), you will have two job interviews, fulfill a group assignment and give a pitch. You will also get to know current and former trainees.
The trainee selection day will take place in The Hague, Anna van Buerenplein 1. You will receive your personal planning a few days before the trainee selection day.
- Deadline for applying:1 October 2023
- Trainee selection day: 27 October 2023
- Final interview: 2, 6 and 7 November 2023
- Presentation of the terms of employment: 13 November 2023
- Start: 1 February 2024
In principle, no. The purpose of the trainee selection day is for us to meet you and for you to get to know TNO. Therefore we find it important that you attend this day.
We do our utmost to be as transparent as possible about our process and the qualifications we select upon. Due to the huge amount of interest for the TNO Trainee Programme, we unfortunately cannot give feedback on a personal note after round 1 (cv assessment) and 2 (online assessment). After joining us at the Trainee Selection Day or the final interviews, we will of course inform you personally.
All applicants need a certificate of conduct and additionally a screening by the General Intelligence and Security Service.
In April 2024, we will be opening the procedure for the TNO Trainee Programme that starts in fall of 2024.
We want you to tell us what makes you tick, and that can be anything. Maybe you are into a Michael Reeves way of experimenting, or maybe your biggest dream is to develop an awesome roller coaster. We are looking for something extra.
Please record your video in English.
The length is less important than the size of the video. But a maximum of 5 MB means it will be a short video (30 seconds or less). There are several online tools available to compress your video when needed.
We all understand some of you may be more natural or more at ease in front of a camera. We also understand if English is not your mother tongue. Do not worry about that. Be yourself.
Our applicant tracking systems supports MP4, MOV, WMV, MPG and MPEG formats. Be aware that a video in any other format cannot be uploaded.
The TNO Trainee Programme
We have a maximum of seven spots available.
That depends. When more than one research manager is interested in your application, your preference will of course be taken into account.
The TNO Trainee Programme is a fulltime programme. Meaning: Monday till Friday, 40 hours a week. Our offices open during regular business hours.
That depends on the unit you will be working for, but it will be one of our Dutch locations. Our head office is based in The Hague. See all our locations.
No, you will not. The TNO Trainee Programme means you get to work in different roles, which you can put on your resume. During our selection procedure we will ask you for a reference.
No, there is not. The TNO Trainee Programme ends after two years. We do hope, of course, that you will continue working at TNO.
When you have the ambition to go in deep into a certain area of expertise as a scientist and want to develop professionally in that role, a starter position as a junior scientist instead of that as a trainee, sounds as a better fit. As a junior scientist you automatically enroll in our Talent Development Programme.
TNO takes care of a number of things for new employees from abroad. Ranging from accommodation to tax and language help.
Please note we only consider applications from Europe based residents. If you live in the Netherlands or another European country but you are a non-EU citizen, TNO can provide sponsorship for your working permit in the Netherlands.
In general, Dutch is not really needed for either living here or working at TNO. Some units though have predominantly Dutch speaking clients, and therefore speaking Dutch can be a requirement. Once you start the TNO Trainee Programme, we do offer Dutch courses.
The same as any other applicant. Check our selection criteria and keep in mind that due to your country of origin screening processes may take longer.
TNO is a Dutch organization. We also work for international clients and in European projects. People from more than 50 countries work within TNO. The majority, more than 80%, of our employees is Dutch.
Study background and qualifications
- You received your master's degree no longer than two years ago, counting from 1 Februari2024, the starting date of the programme.
- You have completed your studies nominally.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics. In particular, we are looking for: physics, electrical engineering, computer science, AI, data analysis, aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering and (applied) mathematics.
- You have a bachelor's degree in a STEM discipline (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics). In particular, we are looking for: physics, electrical engineering, computer science, aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering and (applied) mathematics.
- You have a master's degree in:
- a field of study that shows breadth and connection. For example, a Master's degree in Industrial Engineering & Management, Innovation Management, Transition Management or Industrial Design. Or:
- a Master's degree in a technical study, but you know and can demonstrate that you want to connect with other disciplines.
- You have a broad interest, which is demonstrated by your combination of master's and bachelor's degrees, and the extra curricular activities you have undertaken in addition to your studies.
- You live within Europe.
In your motivation letter and video we hope to see that:
- You have an extensive knowledge base and experience to help solve societal and economic issues.
- You are driven by knowledge and like to translate it into practice.
- You want to innovate and look beyond the status quo.
- You are bold in generating new ideas.
- You have strong communication skills, which allow you to connect with the people around you and work towards new solutions.
- You want to excel, you love a challenge and are comfortable with taking responsibility.
- You take control in your work as well as in your own development.
- You have a broad interest, which is shown by extracurricular activities in addition to your studies.
Within TNO we value professional skills as well as (inter)personal skills. These skills can be developed within or outside your study or work. We look at the experiences you gathered, what you learnt from them and how the result of that learning process is visible in other experiences.
No, you need to have your diploma by the day you start, 1 September 2023.
You have a bachelor's degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics. In particular, we are looking for candidates with a background in: computer science, artificial intelligence, data analysis, (applied) physics, electrical engineering, aerospace, mechanical engineering and (applied) mathematics. And you have a master's degree in:
- a field of study that shows breadth and connection. For example, a master's degree in Industrial Engineering & Management, Innovation Management, Transition Management or Industrial Design.
- a master's degree in a technical study, but you know and can demonstrate that you want to connect with other disciplines.
To be honest, not really. Matching the right candidates and our available spots is a puzzle where you can rely on the recruiters and research managers to keep your best interest at heart. In the end we all benefit from the best possible match.
You can contact Anne-Maartje den Uijl, recruiter, via +31 (0)6 46966067.
Get in contact
Lara DimitrovskiFunctie:Corporate Recruiter
“I may just have the most cheerful job in the world”. As a corporate recruiter at TNO, Lara Dimitrovski works mainly for the Buildings, Infrastructure & Maritime (BI&M) unit. What does she pay attention to during an interview? Whether you are being yourself.
Looking for an expert?View all experts