Sustainable buildings: towards an energy producing built environment
Energy consumption in Europe is increasing and fossil fuels are running out. Approximately 40% of the energy consumption occurs within the built environment. This must be completely energy-neutral in our country by 2050. TNO uses its knowledge and expertise for energy-positive buildings: sustainable buildings that produce energy.
GENERATING ADDITIONAL ENERGY FROM ENERGY-POSITIVE BUILDINGS
The heating, hot water and installations in a building result in building-specific energy consumption. In order to be energy neutral, this consumption must be compensated by renewably generated energy, thereby making it CO2-neutral.
TNO is committed to sustainable buildings that produce energy. Energy-positive buildings compensate for building-related energy consumption and they also generate enough energy for all their own use, such as electrical equipment, computers and lighting. And they generate extra energy for use in other sectors, such as industry and transport.
REALISING SUSTAINABLE PRODUCTION THROUGH FOUR INNOVATIVE AREAS
In order to realise energy-positive buildings, we look at energy from four angles:
- For example, we are working on solar panels and alternatives to fossil fuels for energy generation.
- Energy transport is about ensuring that the place where energy is produced (or generated) is as close as possible to the place where it is used.
- For energy storage, we focus on heat batteries, which store solar energy or wind energy.
- For energy use, we develop concepts to generate or reuse heat. We also devise ways of helping users to use energy more efficiently. And we work on solutions that keep homes and business premises not only energy efficient, but also pleasant, liveable and healthy.
HOW DO WE ACHIEVE NATURAL GAS-FREE NEIGHBOURHOODS?
Making municipalities gas-free requires much more than the development of technological solutions. TNO contributes to the realisation of natural gas-free neighbourhoods and a future without CO2 emissions in a variety of areas:
- technology for energy-positive buildings and renovation concepts
- sustainable energy generation
- smart energy systems
- policy support
Innovative solutions for sustainable cities and neighbourhoods
TNO supports municipal boards and other stakeholders to arrive at a innovative solutions together for the transition to more sustainable, future-proof and smart cities. National and European targets have...
Is thermochemical heat storage the future?
Power plants that run on fossil fuels are able to adapt their production levels according to demand. But in the case of generators of renewable energy, such as solar panels, solar collectors, or wind...
Personal comfort in the work place
Everyone has their own ideas about what constitutes a pleasant interior climate. In many offices, the users are unable to regulate the temperature and lighting themselves, leading to arguments about levels...
Products for an energy-positive built environment
What can you do to make solar panels cheaper? Which innovations can make your product even better and more competitive? How do you integrate these and other products in the built environment? Together...
Sustainable self-supporting urban smart grid
In the EU project 'Sustainable Self-supporting Urban Smart Grid' (SSUSG) TNO is collaborating with partners to develop a prototype of an energy-supplying system at neighbourhood level for the generation,...