In view of recent agreements in the climate treaties and the European Energy Efficiency Directive, which aims to achieve 20% energy savings in Europe by 2020, the target for the Netherlands is a cumulative energy saving in final consumption of 480 PJ in the period 2014-2020.
In order to meet these objectives, innovations in energy efficiency are necessary. TNO develops knowledge and technology for energy-efficient innovations in industrial processes.
The TNO SPT expertise group focuses on heat and process technology whereby attention is geared to:
- Reuse, transport and storage of residual heat
- Membrane separations for liquids and gases
- Sorption techniques for liquid and gas separation
- Treatment and upgrading of gases
- Intensification of production processes for (bulk) chemicals
- Use of residual flows such as CO2 as a raw material for chemicals
- Production of hydrogen for different applications
For the implementation of these solutions, TNO works together with suppliers of raw materials, contractors, engineering firms, machine builders, installation companies and a range of large end users.
Solutions from TNO
TNO focuses on technological innovation to reduce the total energy consumption in your business process, leading to a more sustainable process, lower energy consumption and lower operational costs. TNO does this in various ways, such as:
- More efficient use of energy
- More efficient use of raw materials
- Development of more efficient separation methods
- Reduction of unwanted by-products
- Improvement of product yield and quality
- Transition to sustainable products
- Screening of different components
More about this work can be found in the following program lines