|POSITION: PROFESSOR | THERMAL ENERGY STORAGE
|TNO UNIT: ENERGY TRANSITION (STIP)
|UNIVERSITY: TU/E (MECH. ENGINEERING / ENERGY TECHNOLOGY)
|TNO LOCATION: PETTEN
|EMAIL: [email protected]
My main research area is thermal energy storage, with the focus on (1) thermochemical heat storage, (2) PCM heat storage and (3) metal fuels and redox heat storage. Over the last 10 years, I have been involved in several PhD projects on this topic, ranging from molecular dynamics and experimental materials research to prototype development and system analysis.
In addition, in the coming years, I will extend my activities in the development of metal powder as CO2 free fuel. Finally, I am presenting courses on:
- Thermal Energy Storage, giving a broad overview on heat storage, ranging from sensible heat and underground heat storage to PCM and thermochemical systems.
- Energy Demand, giving an overview of energy use in the Netherlands, with a focus on industrial processes
The work has mostly focused on thermochemical heat storage, at different scale levels:
- Molecular dynamics
- Materials characterization
- Reactor development
- System integration
Since 2018, also research on metal fuels is carried out.
PHD & PDEng SUPERVISION
- PhD Rudi Santbergen (PhD finished in 2008, member committee)
- PhD Eldhose Iype (PhD finished in 2014, member committee)
- PhD Shuiquan Lan (PhD finished 2015, second promotor)
- PhD Claire Ferchaud (PhD finished 2016, first promotor)
- PDEng Munish Katiyar (graduated in 2016)
- PhD Mohammadreza Gaeini (PhD finished 2017, first promotor)
- PhD Luca Scapino (PhD finished in 2019, first promotor)
- PDEng Shahla Huseynova (graduated in 2021).
- Zondag, H. A., de Boer, R., Smeding, S. F. & van der Kamp, J., Performance analysis of industrial PCM heat storage lab prototype, Journal of Energy Storage. 18, pp. 402-413, 2018.
- Scapino, L., Zondag, H. A., Van Bael, J., Diriken, J. & Rindt, C. C. M., Sorption heat storage for long-term low-temperature applications: A review on the advancements at material and prototype scale, Applied Energy. 190, pp. 920-948, 2017.
- Gaeini, M., Zondag, H. A. & Rindt, C. C. M., Effect of kinetics on the thermal performance of a sorption heat storage reactor, Applied Thermal Engineering. 102, pp. 520-531, 2016.
- Zondag, H. A., Kikkert, B., Smeding, S. F., Boer, de, R. & Bakker, M, Prototype thermochemical heat storage with open reactor system, Applied Energy. 109, p. 360-365, 2013.
- Zondag, H. A., Flat-plate PV-Thermal collectors and systems : a review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 12, p. 891-959, 2008.
- Zondag, H. A., Vries, de, D. W., Helden, van, W. G. J., Zolingen, van, R. J. C. , Steenhoven, van, A. A., The yield of different combined PV-thermal collector designs, Solar Energy. 74, p. 253-269, 2003.
- Zondag, H. A., Vries, de, D. W., Helden, van, W. G. J., Zolingen, van, R. J. C. & Steenhoven, van, A. A., The thermal and electrical yield of a PV-thermal collector, Solar Energy. 72, p. 113-128, 2002.