Internship | Semantics and Hybrid AI within Data Science
About this position
Would you like to help with developing knowledge representation and reasoning techniques? Or would you like to dip your fingers in the field of Hybrid AI? Then we, the Data Science department of TNO, are looking for you! The Data Science department of TNO works on projects where we obtain insights into data and make those insights meaningful. We work on solutions which provide a way to implement knowledge representation and reasoning within different fields. We work together with our partners and clients on new innovative methods to incorporate different AI and data science solutions into various domains. Aside from that, we also focus on how the knowledge-driven approaches can be combined with data-driven methods to create so-called Hybrid AI systems.
What will be your role?
About the internship:
The internship will take place as a task within the knowledge representation and hybrid AI team of the department of Data Science. We offer graduation assignments (master thesis) of 6 to 9 months, and internship assignments of minimum 3 months. The available topics and options can highly differ based on the projects which are currently active within the department. We aim to give our interns an assignment that is tailored to their profile and interests and fits with our current projects. Therefore, there is always space for creativity and input in the definitions.
The exact projects we work on differ, but always relate around the field of knowledge representation and Hybrid AI. We work in different domains such as law, industry, agriculture, logistics, defense etc. Here are some examples:
- Do you want to use advanced Artificial Intelligence techniques to make a practical real-life contribution to Europe's energy transition?! Within the Knowledge Engine team, we connect SmartHome-systems in the Horizon2020-project InterConnect, thereby balancing the local energy consumption (heating, electricity, vehicle chargers) and energy production (solar cells, wind energy, heating nets, home batteries).
- In the greenhouse domain, we apply symbolic AI solutions (knowledge representation & reasoning) to standardize the way data is collected and exchanged. We make sure that greenhouse construction data as well as sensors/machine/digital twin data is explicit for the systems and international stakeholders in the sector (growers, builders, suppliers, etc.). The solutions enable the use of industry standards, prevent errors and many-to-many API connections, and can be used to infer new knowledge.
- The current challenges in the labour market ask for new approaches to do matching of job seekers and employers. TNO is convinced that matching on skills instead of diplomas is the way forward. With our team we contribute to this transition by developing solutions to capture and map knowledge models on occupations, skills and qualifications and to support semi-automatic evolution of such knowledge models based on the continuously changing context.
- To optimize decision making in various context, we work on decision support systems that combine human intelligence with artificial intelligence: hybrid AI. We focus on solutions that support humans in doing analyses and making decisions, more effectively and efficiently than human alone or data-driven solutions alone could do. For example, you can think of safety inspectors deciding about targeted actions in hazardous situations, of growers deciding how to optimize the circumstances in his greenhouse for more and more sustainable gain and of provincial policy officers deciding about which companies to invest in.
- In the Norm Engineering project, we develop formalizations of norms, to help organizations and individuals interpret laws and policies.
- Within industry, TNO works on trying to further the innovation and integration of Industry 4.0 in factories. We do projects related to knowledge representation in Multi-Agent Systems, Operator Support solutions, agent creation and modelling.
The exact topic that an internship can have can be built on one of the abovementioned projects or follow a different line. We build the assignment together with the student to achieve a good match.
What will be your role?
During the internship, you will join a project with other colleagues from the department. You will be expected to do literature research on the given topic and contribute your own ideas. You will then have to develop a certain proof-of-concept and do some experiments. Finally, you will be expected to document your findings in a report and then present it to your colleagues.
What we expect from you
We are looking for a student, who is interested in the field of knowledge representation, hybrid AI and ontologies, who is interested in research and enjoys tacking technically challenging problems. This student should be able to work unsupervised and have a structured approach to the given task. Furthermore, the student should be comfortable working in a team and be willing to learn more about the domain and the field.
- You are following a Master's study in a relevant field, such as artificial intelligence, knowledge engineering, data science, etc.
- You are currently studying within the Netherlands or other EU country and be willing to relocate to the Netherlands.
- You have good communications skills in Dutch and/or English.
Depending on the particular task of the internship, it may be the case that some extra skills are required such as basic programming knowledge.
What you'll get in return
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
After the first CV selection, the application process will be conducted by the concerning department. TNO will provide a suitable internship agreement. If you have any questions about this vacancy, you can contact the contact person mentioned below.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.